Friday, July 29, 2011

Remembering Amy Jade Winehouse




































































































































Reading all the news since Amy Winehouse's passing has left a huge lump in my throat. But what has saddened me even more are the many comments left by people on news articles and other Internet sites who, for some unknown reason, find it impossible to see that there was a woman, another human being with human emotions behind the media's portrayal and their exploitation of Amy's lifestyle during the last years of her life.

I have been disgusted upon coming across comments such as 'live like a junkie, die like a junkie', 'at last the junkie mole is dead - good riddens', and stuff like 'she deserved what she got'. It makes me hang my head in sorrow and in shame and I am left wondering about how people can be so brutally cold and removed from the suffering and the struggle that others clearly experience throughout their lives. In a day and age of cyberspace, it appears that social media has increasingly become a dumping ground for toxic comments - a place for cowards to take great delight in sitting and hiding behind their computers as they troll the internet, breeding nothing but their bile and hate. I feel sorry for these people. I feel even sorrier that at a time like this they feel that they can take it upon themselves to write those sorts of things on tributes payed to Amy, while others are grieving for the loss of a loved one and for the loss of a life.

I have never been the type of person who got crazed or caught up on famous people and their lives, but Amy's music and the way that she sang truly touched my soul and made a huge impact on my life.  Amy Winehouse was a human being just like you and I. And sadly, it should never have come to this. No matter what anyone says about her, it will always be her music that I remember her by.

Below is a snippet that I have taken from a piece written by Alexandra Topping from the Guardian in the UK.

'The analysis of what caused her eventual demise, on Saturday 23 July, aged 27, will be dissected minutely over the coming weeks. But, said Charles-Ridler, those who peered into her life should also take a moment to look at their own.'

"Yes she did this to herself, yes she was self-destructive, but she was a victim too," he said. "We all have to take a bit of responsibility, us the public, the paparazzi. She was a star, but I want people to remember that she was also just a girl."




2 comments:

Jude said...

Thank you for writing this. I loved Amy's music and I am devastated by the loss of an incredible artist. I have also seen some terribly cold comments witten about Amy Winehouse which left me furious and sad.

I don't understand how people can be that way.


Jude

A Fool for Love... said...

Thanks, Jude.

Yes, it is an incredible loss.

I feel that music has died in some ways also. Hopefully a little piece of Amy will live on in the rest of us who appreciated what she bought to our lives.