Monday, May 25, 2009

Rubik's Cube and the Ballpoint Pen not the only things Hungary has going for it...



Every morning I like to take time to reflect on life and to ready myself for what needs to be done during the day ahead. I also like to go out very early for breakfast, and afterwards sit and sip on my cup of lemon and ginger tea and take time to read the morning paper. Not only am I interested in what goes on locally, but also in what goes on globally.

In this mornings edition of the paper I came across a rather curious article that had me scratching my head, which eventually led me to remember some of the stories my Nan used to proudly go on about her Homeland. That is, sadly, the stories she used to spin before her dementia set in.  Afterwards, I chuckled and thought to myself, gee, if only she could see this one ... because I reckon it would give her a bit of a chuckle too.


High-Heel Sprint in Budapest:

May 23rd, some 100 women took part in the race wearing high- heeled shoes with a required minimum height of 8cm for a $6200 prize.


Please correct me if I am wrong, but I am not too sure if this is something the Hungarians actually whipped up all on their own - even though Nan sure would like to think that the Hungarians were responsible for everything great that happened in the World - or, come to think of it, why some women would subject themselves to something which looks rather dangerous to me, just for the chance of a $6,200 prize.

Okay, sure, $6,200 could be considered a substantial amount of money to some, while for others, a race of this sort might be considered fun to run in a pair of killer heels - although, from a distance, it's hard to tell based purely by the look on their faces, but under close observation (runner #80) it actually suggests to me otherwise - but Hell, I wouldn't last 5 damn steps in a pair of heels, not that you'd ever catch me in a pair of heels, that is *wink* but you know, I'm, well, I'm just saying. If truth be told, I am more of an admirer of women who wear heels, especially when worn with a lovely pair of seamed stockings, but hey, let's not get me started on that one ...

It did get me thinking, however, that perhaps this type of event is something we could stage over here for drag queens at the next Mardi Gras Fair Day. Who knows?  We could hold a National competition for all the drag queens from all around the land to come and take part in, at the same time, using it as an opportunity to help raise money for charity, or to raise money to help educate and campaign for issues such as homophobia and violence against members of our community.

Yep, anyway, I certainly can visualise a bunch of screaming queens tearing down Broadway in all of their finest. After all, it's not exactly the first time I would be a witness to such things *wink*. I certainly know of a couple that I have worked with over the years as a club DJ who would just love to enter ...

Miu Miu patent leather pumps anyone?