Saturday, February 14, 2009

Reflection.

Today whilst searching for answers I was drawn to a book on the shelf in my study that I have had in my possession for many years now. In 1993 I was fortunate enough to come across a copy of 365 Tao, by Deng Ming-Dao, in an out-of-the-way bookstore down in Melbourne during one of my annual visits.

To this day I can still remember the sense of awe I felt upon opening it, and also how captivated I was by its contents as I let them wash over me for the very first time. Until then I had never been exposed to the principles or the philosophy of Taoism. I wouldn't exactly say that after all of these years of turning to this book in times of need, that I am what you would call a 'devout' follower of Taoism. I mean, I try my best to live a spiritual life, but sometimes there's just so much chaos that goes on around us - and also within us - where we just get so damn caught up with everything and where everything seems to be moving so fast that I sometimes find myself straying from the path ... or forgetting that one even exists ...which now begs me to ask - for various other reason also - at what point did I start losing sight of myself? Not so much "who am I"?, because I do know who and what I am, but more in regards to what is right for me and what is not, and also that sense of inner peace which once seemed to be a constant companion of mine. Right now, I suspect that the cause of me questioning all of this is more than likely attributed to having so much conflict surrounding me by external forces - personal and other - which in my mind is not always a good thing. After all, there does come a point in our lives where we find ourselves in situations where we begin to think that enough is enough. And perhaps I am approaching that point sooner than I care to admit?

Anyway, I seem to find a strange sense of comfort in the knowing that every now and then we get a little reminder from the Universe, especially on days like this, where I sat at my desk and reached out for this book without intending to actually sit and read. It wasn't a conscious thought that led me to 365 Tao today, or to my study for that matter, but for some reason all that followed resonated deep within, and it was afterwards that I realised I obviously needed to hear what presented itself before me as I wearily opened up my book, turned to page 4, and began to read...


REFLECTION


Moon above water.
Sit in solitude.



If waters are placid, the moon will be mirrored perfectly. If we still ourselves, we can mirror the divine perfectly. But if we engage solely in the frenetic activities of our daily involvements, if we seek to impose our own schemes on the natural order, and if we allow ourselves to become absorbed in self-centered views, the surface of our waters becomes turbulent. Then we cannot be receptive to Tao.

There is no effort that we can make to still ourselves. True stillness comes naturally from moments of solitude where we allow our minds to settle. Just as water seeks its own level, the mind will gravitate toward the holy. Muddy water will become clear if allowed to stand undisturbed, and so too will the mind become clear if it is allowed to be still.

Neither the water nor the moon make any effort to achieve a reflection. In the same way, meditation will be natural and immediate.


4 comments:

moonsorceress said...

Wishing you peace on the journey within. And sorry for ruffling the waters.

Leather said...

You are the strongest person I know. You were my rock for me in our relationship all those years ago, and I know whatever it is you are going through you will come out the other end knowing you made the right choices.

You were always great at that, and you always had amazing integrity and took pride in your beliefs and values. I know you still have these qualities.

Follow your heart.

Leather xox

essence said...

This is a beautiful peace. i needed to read this today. i am looking up this book. i want it. i am in need of finding peace.

Thank you for posting this.

essence

Jude said...

Golly gee Batman. I can relate to this post. One morning I woke up, took care of my affairs and booked a ticket to cross the other end of the country a week later. Darwin to Sydney. Time has passed and I have not looked back since. It's now been two years.

Hope it all goes well. I like your blogs.